Texas Missions Month Blog: Week 3
Vision and Mission of Renewal Church
What’s all the fuss about vision and mission statements?
Every business, organization, and motivational speaker talks about having an inspiring vision and a clear mission. Vision and mission statements are designed to work together to communicate the essence of the organization:
- Vision Statement: describes the desired end-state. Vision speaks of the direction the organization is headed.
- Mission Statement: describes purpose and identity. Mission speaks of the organization’s reason for existing and how it plans to fulfill that purpose.
Check out a couple of awesome vision and mission statements from global companies:
- Company: Samsung
- Vision: Inspire the world. Create the future.
- Mission: Inspire the world with our innovative technologies, products and design that enrich people’s lives and contribute to social prosperity by creating a new future.
- Company: Ikea
- Vision: To create a better everyday life for the many people.
- Mission: Offer a wide range of well-designed, functional home furnishing products at prices so low that as many people as possible will be able to afford them.
Basically, your vision shows the direction you are headed. Your mission shows why you are heading in that direction and how you are going to get there.
Vision and mission statements lead to the success of an organization. The same is true whether you sell electronics or you sell low-cost DIY furniture in a store that makes you feel like a mouse trapped in a maze. Just sayin! I love me some Ikea, but do they really need to sell their stuff in a labyrinth?
More Important than Phones and Furniture
Samsung and Ikea have an inspiring vision and a clear mission. They know who they are. They know what they do. They know why they do it. And they know how they are going to do it. The result? Success.
As followers of Jesus Christ, we worship the King of Glory who spoke the universe into existence, came into the world to rescue us, and has sent us to share His love with a dark and broken world. Our mission has eternal implications. What we do as a church is way more important than selling phones and furniture!
I believe God wants every church to have an inspiring vision and a clear mission. As a church, we must have a well-defined direction, identity, and purpose. The key for a church is to root their vision and mission on the character and purposes of God.
God originally created people to know Him, love Him, praise Him, and joyfully submit to Him. We exist to enjoy God. Sadly, due to our sinful nature, we are all broken. And we live in a broken world. None of us can fulfill the great purpose God originally intended for us. In our brokenness, we strive to find meaning and joy in our lives, but in the end it’s nothing more than chasing after the wind. Through Jesus Christ, God is making all things new.
“And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new…’” (Revelation 21:5)
God is at work restoring people from all nations to their original purpose: enjoying the presence of God.
Renewal Church Vision:
To bring God’s renewal to Bell County and the world
Renewal Church Mission:
Renewal Church exists so that people will be made new in Jesus, grow in Jesus, and be released into the world for Jesus
Renewal Church will have a gospel-centered direction, identity, and purpose.
Bell County: Desperate for God’s Renewal
For those of you number-lovers, here are some stats:
- On an average Sunday, there are about 30,000 people attending a church service in Bell County.
- The current population in our county is about 335,000 people and we’re projected to hit 500,000 in the next 10 years.
- The median age of Bell County is 30.
- The poverty rate in our county is surprisingly high at 16.5%.
For those of you whose eyes glaze over when you see stats, here’s the translation…
There are thousands of families in our community that don’t know Jesus. Thousands of people need the love of God. Thousands of people in Bell County need us to smile at them, look them in the eye, hug them, and share the hope that we’ve found in Jesus. This is our purpose.
Are you in? Do you want to see what God can do through you?
PRAY for the Renewal Church launch team, GIVE to the start-up, and ask God if He is calling you to GO, and join us as we plant this new church for the praise of His name.